Monday, February 16, 2015

Water Fast Day 1

So I've decided to document my water fast and I feel great. Granted, it's only 10 am, but I remember my first attempt at water fasting last year when I felt for sure I was dying of hunger by 5:13 am.

This time I made sure to prepare; I've eaten raw  for the last two days and drank what must have been my body weight in fluids

Its important to do this for the right reasons, because there is a fine line between fasting and starving. You ease in both ways, you don't binge, and you drink lots of water. You safeguard your mental and spiritual health with yoga and light (very light) exercise. Meditate, learn to love your body.

This is a cleanse, not a weight loss program. You are purging your body of toxins, and reaching new spiritual heights. This is a labor of love, not hate.




My plan this time is as follows:

2 days eating raw, drinking lots of juices and smoothies. This will make the fast easier, because in these 2 days many of your cravings will have gone away

3-4 days zero-calories. Don't plan on doing anything for the first day or two, because you will not be comfortable

1 day orange or lemon juice diluted in water

7 day juice cleanse (I'm double dipping here, going from a water fast directly into a juice cleanse)

2 days raw, same as the start

back to my old vegan diet, with a mix of raw and cooked foods




Honestly, the first few days suck. The more toxic your diet was prior to the fast, the worse your detox symptoms will be. You will experience hunger, cravings, mood swings, dizziness, possibly a thick white coating on your tongue. It is normal, and to be expected.

This is a natural healing process, used by ancients peoples as well as animals in the wild for thousands upon thousands of years. Think of when you have a fever- do you feel much like eating? No, because fasting is you body's response to the virus, as much as the fever is. It's trying to detox, so your appetite is suppressed.

You will lose weight (only to be expected) but be prepared for some of it to come back immediately when you start eating food again.

Do your research, because this isn't something to do half-assed. You might even prefer to have a guided fast, so you don't feel alone.

It's getting on 10:30 now, and I still feel great. Had a jam fest to some Uptown Funk, drank a hipster mason jar of water and everything.

Peace.


*********Update: It's been a good five minutes since I published what's above, and I am beginning to experience hunger. This, too, will pass. In a few days, you'll feel great. Clean, and new, and full of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment