Saturday, August 15, 2015

The Train

So we said our farewells 
to the jewel of the German South
and boarded a charcoal monster
that flew ever lower on the map.

Eyes wide in wonder,
cheek pushed against palm
like a prisoner captured
by sunlight for the first time.

Lieblich. 

I wrote this on the train that took us from Munich to Salzburg. In between bouts of childish imagination and pages of The Immoralist, I watched what flew past the windows.

My friend told me once that the German countryside is the stuff of fairytales. But there is something ever so slightly twisted about the faerie folk, don't you think? Something altogether too dainty and pretty- beautiful, but full of guile. No, the sun-drenched meadows fringed with trees as eyes are with lashes came from gentler stuff. The lullabies sung to sleepy babies, the scent of robustness drifting from wildflowers clutched in chubby fists.

There were little cottages with stone foundations, and neatly plowed fields. And there were streams that glistened as they danced over the rocks and muck. How funny it is that the land should look so different than my desert sands back home, yet the light is the same. The very same.

And lord, those mountains. I have never seen anything half so honest as the giants who bent and grazed the heavens with their spines. It seems to me I've forgotten too many of them, although they cried out to me like old friends. What a jolly group, those mountains are, like old men gathered around a circle of glasses.

I didn't even have a window seat.

I wish I'd realized then, as I held an idle pen, what glory there is in trains. Perhaps when I am older I will not remember this. Perhaps I will forget how carefully I tucked my ticket in my journal, how glad I was to find the car nearly empty. Perhaps I will forget the jovial faces of my companions who sat around me.

But I got a window seat on the train that bore us dizzyingly to Vienna.


No comments:

Post a Comment