Monday, May 26, 2014

It Takes Two to Tango

Blind panic, infinite rage.  Perhaps a touch of defiance.

A bee has somehow gotten itself stranded on its back.  Its writhes and twitches, buzzing angrily all the while.  To itself, or maybe the whole world.  Whoever knew the mind of a bee?

As its rocking movements carries it to and fro, its wings and fine yellow hairs catch the sun until it flops back into the shadows of the palm tree.  The glint of light is like the wink of candles in clean windows.

A movement-a lizard-rustles among the leaves.  It darts closer, then closer, and ever closer to the frantic bee.  Cocking its reptilian head to and fro, it edges forward.  It leans forward, watching the bee's progress in complete stillness.  Its little snout nudges the flicking abdomen.

Bee somehow manages to launch himself 3 feet away from Lizard, although he is still on his back, funnily enough.  Poor Bee, I think- Lizard is on the verge of a very tasty supper.  And it seems that way, for Lizard dashes over and I can see the his tiny tongue flicker out, quick as a snake's.  Bee is doomed to a very neat death.

The two, masked in shadows, continue their deadly dance.

When next I turn to watch their duel, Bee is alone.  His movements are slower, heavier, without the force they had.  Where is Lizard? 

Ah-there he is, sunning himself out by the primroses.  He is sprawled on his belly, his long skinny tail twitching like a contented kitten.  Cunning-he knows Bee is his.  He need only wait for fatigue to take him. 

So I turn back to my work, delighting in the sunshine across my bared shoulders.  I am fighting a war of my own: a war with Calculus.  And like Bee, I  have zero chances of winning. ( Haha, hopefully not)

When I look again over my shoulder, Lizard has vanished.  Astonished, I look about but there is no sign of him, not in the rustling leaves, nor the sunny patio.  Lizard is gone.  A moment later, Bee is gone too, and a long skinny tail disappears amongst the brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment