Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Drink With Gatsby

   The Norwegion Star, as with most other cruise lines, has as its secondary concern the continual entertainment of its guests.  The primary being reaching the destination without being hijacked or something, I guess.  
   I already said in an earlier post that I can't stand clubbing music, such as the music played outside on the "party deck".  It's too loud, but more importantly, I have no idea what to do with it.  Everywhere you look you see people dancing or jumping or moving with the beat.  Even the people eating, or getting in line to eat, are participating.  But I'm not.  Not because I'm some kind of pseudo-grinch, but because I'm chronically rhythm challenged.  My grandmother is a better dancer than me.  
   I like music you can listen to sitting down.  Standing up is okay too, if no one expects you to do anything with your awkward self.  
    There was a little space with a stage and a bar, with a bunch of squashy gold-toned swivel-chairs scattered in between.  An art gallery bordered one side, and an Italian restaurant the other.  The Gatsby Lounge.  I liked to sit when there was music playing and write in my journal.  I never actually had a drink, unless you count ice water and virgin pina coladas, which, might I add, I have lost a taste for. 
     I only ever happened to be there when on of two artists were there: The Belmonte Brothers (the ship itinerary lists them as the Belmonte Duo but I have a strange prejudice against the word "duo") and Stan Sykes.  
   I listen to a lot of world music, but mostly Celtic and German.  Until then, I had never really listened to very much Latin music.  Until then.  It was literally a cultural revolution or something, because as soon as I stepped foot into a place with free wi-fi I RESEARCHED.  Luis Silva, Luis Miguel, Pablo Milanes, etc. etc.  
  I spoke with the brothers after their last show the day before we docked home and it seems they are working on an album.  I wish you could have heard them in that lounge.  I wish you could have heard the way the guitar danced and the piano trilled.  I wish you could have heard the way their voices blended-so seamlessly, so sinuously.  I have never heard any music like that.  Even I could have danced to it.  
   The brothers themselves were what I would call romantic figures, meaning that had I been writing a novel, I'd have found a way to write them in.  Their nametags-which I sneakily glanced at-said that they were Colombian.  Julian was the guitarist, and he wore his hair in a neat pony tail-very artsy.  His brother Daniel accompanied him on the piano, although it's difficult to say who accompanied who.
    When I fist saw Stan I thought he was somebody else that I knew and so almost ran screaming at him.  Almost.  It was a close call.  He played Motown/70s stuff.  A lot of the Temptations and Stevie Wonder and Otis Redding.  Jamal, if you're reading this, he could have been your twin.  He was funny, too.  They put a blow up penguin on his piano and he kept pretending to choke it.  
    I'd add some kind of video clip (seeing as I'm pretty good at internet stalking now) but I think that might be crossing some lines.  But you should all youtube them.  Especially the Belmonte Brothers, because I already found clips of them :).

Never mind, I've gotten over my qualms.  Here's a few clip (the following clips don't belong to me, etc.):



     Hope you liked part 3 in my Mexican Cruise Installment. Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment