Tuesday, September 10, 2013

“Parents are not interested in justice, they're interested in peace and quiet.” ― Bill Cosby

     I do not understand parents.  More specifically, I do not understand my parents.  I assume that something about birthing a child means that the memories of adolescence are wiped from memory.  As I myself am not a parent, I am not privy to their secrets.  
    I have often seen those self-help parenting books in the aisles of libraries and bookstores and garage sales.  One should never judge a book by its cover, even if there is a buxom, smug-looking woman on the front cover, holding in one hand the hand of an equally smug looking child and a tray of muffins in the other.  However I cannot help but scoff every time I see one.  After all, just because I'm considerably younger than most parents doesn't mean that I'm a vapid little idiot. I always wondered why those books never took the actual advice from actual kids.  Now, obviously there is the issue of maturity and whatnot, but most children would be able to tell you that yelling and screaming is scary.  Why do adults trust science over their children? Can they seriously not remember what it's like to be a child? 
   Dumbledore once said something along the lines of: "The truly wise do not forget what it is like to be young".  I think that was in the fifth book, after Sirius Black is killed.  But my point is that the greatest minds were, at some point, the minds of children.  Maturity is not a manifestation of character, but rather the development of our ability to make decisions that do not contradict our consciences.  Also, maturity is not the equivalent of wisdom.  I know myself, my values, and my desires yet I would hardly call myself "mature", which is a hackneyed term anyways.  
    Something about growing up means that you  lose that frank, childish inquiry and that honest transparency.  What adults must use words to communicate, a child can convey with a look.  What adults call love, a child feels no need to label or categorize.  
     Parents, please stop taking everything we say as an attack on your authority.  Please stop pressuring us, because we already compare ourselves and are compared with the "elites" of our generation.  Please stop expecting us to act our age if you won't treat us as though we are.  Please remember that this is a difficult time and that one day we will know how to show you that we love, respect, and admire you.  
    Parents, why are you so confusing? Why don't you understand us, if you were once where we are?

No comments:

Post a Comment