Monday, June 10, 2013

High Noon Thesis Paper


         So, my school offers this class called "Honors Humanities", which is a language arts course that includes more than just grammar and  spelling and whatnot-not that skills such as these two aren't very important, of course.  It is kind of linked to our high school's AP Euro class, but focuses less heavily on history and more on art and interpretation.  It is also the most challenging, back-breaking, illusion-shattering class I have ever taken.  There are no words to describe S. Tanaka's class, and there is no way anybody would understand without actually going through two semesters of it.  
      But naturally, as with all difficult things, it is and was a good experience and taught us all to develop original arguments, interpret based on various filters such as politics or the eternal feminine, and forced us to think analytically.  It's one of the most worthwhile courses I have ever taken.  
      Anywhoodles, although we had a lot of assignments, the greatest focus was on our thesis paper.  Now, as most of the general public knows, many college courses feature a thesis paper as the final display of personal excellence-or mediocrity-and mastery of the course.  Imagine my class, a group of unruly and unsophisticated second-year students.  What did we know of the world;what concern was it of ours what movie directors were trying to say?  We sure didn't care about the masters: Derain, Manet, Warhol, Morisot, David...they were then and we ARE the future.  But how can a group of idiots-for surely we were that-be the future if we pass into adulthood uncultured and ignorant to the greater field of the arts?  Therein lies S. Tanaka's greatest gift to us all.  True, many times I have hated her, and promised myself I would never visit.  But now that term is approaching its end, I now realize the disservice that would do her.  
      I don't think people understand the importance of history, and art, and literature.  I don't think they appreciate it.  Goodness knows I have only just begun.  
      I am including my thesis paper, on which I got a 98 percent, and my video presentation, for which I was given a perfect score.  Let it be known, that my paper's organization is off-the product of frantic work the night before. It isn't that I procrastinated (much), but that I changed the paper's structure, wording, commentary, Concrete details, commentary...plus the seemingly endless process of rereading and revision.  By five in the morning I was completely convinced I had failed.  My entire class was online, bonding and finding fellowship in our mutual screwedness.  Then, when that was all over, we had our video projects to worry about.  Mine was humiliating, not because it was awful, but because I impersonated various people in the interest of presenting analysis and pcms (professional commentary) in an entertaining way.  My teacher laughed the whole time, and my own face increasing had begun to resemble a tomato.  

       I did High Noon, which is said to be Gary Cooper's greatest film and was Grace Kelly's breakout role.  I personally am a huge (like, HUGE) fan of Gary Cooper and at the time, I was going through an Old American Frontier phase.  Literally, I devoured the works of Zane Gray and scoured the public domain for the big names like Gary Cooper, John Wayne, Roy Rogers, and Gene Autry.  Just to name a few.  So here is my paper and video, if you care to see them. I apologize for my potentially politically incorrect accents. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U0guLcfrSUhuyHzE13lKuOJRkVCe0mfETXh3EgQc-lk/pub


"Look for the woman in the dress.  If there is no woman, there is no dress"
~Coco Chanel

-Love,
Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment